Saturday, October 07, 2006

Runs This Week - The Salisbury Rail Trail


This week I've had a couple of very nice runs on the Salisbury Rail Trail. After dropping Brian & Nicholas off at Karate School (Tokyo Joes of Salisbury), I can pick up the trail right behind the dojo.

Taking the trail south, you eventually dead end at the river, but taking the trail north, it dead ends on a residential street, but following the streets through this very quiet neighborhood, and crossing over Route 110, you eventually pick up the trail again. Only this time the trail is beautifully maintained and it is a real joy to run. I'm fairly certain this hooks up with the Amesbury rail trail, and so you can go for several miles. (the picture to the right is what you will find behind Tokyo Joes)

On both of my runs, I encountered no other runners, and very very few other people at all. The trail behind Tokyo Joes has some gorgeous views of the marsh - especially at sunset when I was running. The 'northern' trail runs parallel to route 110, and there is little scenery except for woods and the backs of a few houses. But, it is much nicer than running along 110!

Running on the trails is a very enjoyable experience. No worries about cars, soft terrain (making it easy on the knees and lower back), and varied terrain. The latter makes it a little tough to run for speed, but that wasn't my primary objective. Generally, I enjoy the effect running has on my body and how it makes me feel, more than I enjoy the physical running itself. However, running trails is an almost-childlike experience, which I find really fun.

For more information about the Salisbury rail trail you can visit this site: http://www.newburyportnews.com/lifestyle/local_story_262135058

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home